THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Coming Out Of The Closet

Well I've had a dirty little secret for sometime now now, and I've been reluctant to talk about it for the last few months. I think the reason for not talking about it is because it's probably not the best idea in the world, but sometimes you just have to say "fuck it" and just do something stupid. I signed up for the McNaughton Park 100 mile Ultra Marathon in Peking IL. For April 12th, 2008. This will be my second attempt at the 100 mile distance. My first attempt at the 100 mile distance was at Lean Horse 100 mile Ultra last August in which I fell short of the finish by quite a few miles.



One side of me says, take your time. Train harder. But the other side says quit acting like a pussy and just do it. If I have half the fun in this attempt as I did at the Lean Horse it will be worth it no matter what the out come is.



If you are not familiar with the McNaughton Park Ultra. It's the only 150 mile Ultra in the USA. They also offer a hundred mile and a 50 mile during the same race. The 150 milers start on April 11th at 12pm, and us 100 milers join them on April 12th at 6am. The McNaughton Park Ultra is a single track trail run on a 10 mile loop course. Each 10 mile loop has heavy hills and two stream crossings per loop.



I can honestly say, if I had to run this race tomorrow I would fail miserably but I do think April is far enough out to put in enough miles to get me ready for this. I've been running all hills and mixing in some pool time too. I'm banking on that combination to get me where I need to be.



Wish me luck on this next adventure and may the trail gods be good to me this next three months.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Crazy! Yet, I find myself interested. I would rather an out and back type of race, because it would be too easy around lap 7 to see my car and say FU#% it, I'm done.