THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

It's been a while since I've sat down at the computer to write . We got back from South Dakota last week and jumped right back into our normal life. Work has been crazy lately, it seems all we have time for is eating and sleeping.



The South Dakota trip was fun. It will be one I'll never forget. The weather was great. No major problems to speak of other than one small speeding ticket (oops!). It was a great trip. The Leanhorse was a main reason for going and that was a great experience. I'll skip forward to the end result of the race first. I was unable to finish the race.

Yep. I got the Big DNF, but what I took away from the race was a monstrous learning experience. It's common to not finish your first attempt at a 100 mile ultra. No one likes to enter a race with the attitude you may not finish, but sometimes you have to keep in mind that no matter how much you train, plan and prepair, the best way to be successful in a race like this is to try it. Experience the race and come back next year with what you learned and use the that to your advantage in the future.


The three major things I learned: #1 Run smart. I didn't stick to what I know about how I personally run. I started off too fast for my own running ability. I got caught up in watching how fast everyone else was doing. I was being past up by dozens of people early in the race and thought I should keep up with the pack. I know better than that and the end result was, it hurt me. I know I have a tendency to have weak ankles. Within the first five miles of the race, the course took us onto a rocky off-road trail. I wasn't watching my footing and folded my ankle on a rock. (end-O'd) It didn't hurt at first but after 30 miles it did.

#2 Eat and drink right. I thought it would be a good idea to travel light at first so I didn't have a water bottle to sip on for the first 15 miles. When I past aid stations I caught myself chugging water and sports drinks. My stomach didn't like that and eventually it started reject anything I put in it.

#3 Train harder. I needed more road-time in. Perhaps a few early season races. Most of the people running the race, just came from other Ultra's the week prior. I met many people who ran the Leadville 100 mile Ultra week prior. Most people use shorter Ultra's and marathons as training runs. Lastly, this year I hung up my bike and swim goggles to run 100% of the time. For me.....I needed more pool time and cross training.

In short......I had a blast. The race was well run and

I got to puke on one of the most beautifully parts of the Black Hills. Unlike an old dog, I did learn some new tricks and looking forward to future Ultra's. Now this is behind me. I can start looking forward to Coeur D'alene Iron Man.




This is pre-race early morning stretch.












On the starting line. Dark and damp morning.

Jerry Dunn (RD) was giving the last minute briefing.










This was the official sounding of the gun. The start of the race. I joked with other racers and said this was as close as I will be to being at the front of the pack. Little did I know how short that lasted.











More of the start.












The race director bragged about how this race is one of the flattest Ultra courses around. Let me ask you this? ........Does these hills look flat to you? They kick my ass.































This is early in the day.



















I'm hurtin. This is just outside of Pringle SD.




















Some of the views of South Dakota.













This is my crew chief. Let me tell you about crew chiefs. They will drive all day then wait on you. Then they drive some more and wait. They put up with your cranky ass attitude. They truly see you at your worst and still give you whatever you need to help make you comfortable. They should give trophies to crew chiefs because they do have the toughest job on earth.
I think anyone who participates in endurance sports eventually puts their family and friends on the back-burner. We are somewhat selfish in completing our goals. We don't deserve a crew or support, but let's thank God for those people who are there to help us. It wouldn't be possible with out them.



After the race we had a few days to enjoy the South Dakota scenery.


I wanted to eat that duck.




One thing about South Dakota. We got to see Deer, Mountain goats, Elk and Bison.

Here's a quiz for you........See the tail on the back Buffalo? What is he doing?

2 comments:

Bigun said...

Break out those goggles and strap on those bike shoes - 'cause it's "business time" - time to get ready for CdA!!!!!!

Oly said...

CdA Bitch, it's on.